Monday, August 29, 2005

Excerpt

Strangers on the Shore

I have come back, and still the sea
keeps sending me strange foam.
It does not get used to the way I see.
The sand does not recognize me.

It makes no sense to return
to the ocean without warning--
it does not know you return
or even that you were away,
and the water is so busy
with all its blue business
that arrivals go unrealized.
The waves keep up their song
and although the sea has many hands,
many mouths and many kisses,
no hand reaches out to you,
no mouth kisses you;
and you soon must realize
what a feeble thing you are.
By now we thought we were friends,
we come back with open arms,
and here is the sea, dancing away,
not bothering with us.

I will have to wait for the fog,
the flying salt, the scattered sun,
for the sea to breathe and breathe on me;
because water is not just water
but a hazy intrusion,
and waves roll on in the air
like invisible horses.

................................

___________



A book of poems, a chic ensemble. What more could a baby girl ask for?

This lovely, lovely surprise is from the beautiful and brilliant Hannah--definitely one of my favorite girls! Thank you, thank you, thank you, Hannah. What a perfect surprise. If it's possible I adore you even more now. xoxox

2 comments:

Anne Haines said...

I will have to wait for the fog,
the flying salt, the scattered sun,
for the sea to breathe and breathe on me;


Oh... gorgeous. I just want to read those three lines over and over again.

early hours of sky said...

My favorite part

“The waves keep up their song
and although the sea has many hands, many mouths and many kisses,
no hand reaches out to you,
no mouth kisses you”

You come flying, alone, in your solitude, alone with the dead, alone in eternity, shadowless, nameless, you come flying without sweets, or a mouth, or a thicket of roses, you come flying ~Neruda