Friday, July 14, 2006

Gratitudes




Not long ago I was worried about writing in a vacuum, not long ago I was so frustrated with a poem I was working on that I wanted to rip it up and stomp on it and bang my head against the wall, and not long ago I was wondering if I would ever be able to get back to that place where poetry occurs. As it happens the universe was listening and as it happens the universe, in its infinite wisdom, handed me two opportunities and three wise women. The opportunities? To review a collection of poems and to write a letter of recommendation. To immerse myself in other's work, to ponder, to articulate, and to stop hyper-focusing on my own poems was a a great gift. To give back a bit of what I've had the good fortune to experience was exactly what I needed to get out of my recent case of tunnel vision. Three wise women? Yes, three generous, brilliant women. I am so blessed to have them in my life. Thank you, Universe, thank you.

4 comments:

Ivy said...

I read Underwood as Underworld. Hee!

I'm glad poetry found you again. :-)

Suzanne said...

Close enough, and sort-of apt, no?hee-hee. Thanks, Ivy. :-)

Emmy said...

It is wonderful to hear some of the secrets for getting "back to that place where poetry occurs." Your post reminds me of the importance of community.
Best,
E.

Suzanne said...

Thanks for the read, Emmy. :-)