Sunday, April 18, 2010

LA TRAGÉDIE DE CARMEN

Last night my husband took me to our favorite restaurant and a one act opera at Yale. The opera was rather, how shall I put this? Dramatic. The director focused on the arc of Carmen rather than Jose, I gathered from his program statement that at one time in the opera world performing just one act of La Tragedie De Carmen was scandalous, but now it's a completely acceptable practice for small opera companies. Also, I learned at the Met in NYC the full opera includes live animals. (!) Yale includes subtitles for the audience, we found them distracting. I would have rather interpreted things on my own. We left with much admiration for this small and extremely talented company. Four stars.

2 comments:

Pam said...

The Met has scrolling subtitles. I don't mind them. You can go back and forth, like viewing a movie with subtitles.
Sounds like a great date night.

Suzanne said...

It was great!