Sunday, September 25, 2005

What's My Line? for Lorna

The line my husband used to hook & reel me in?

Let's see, we were at a "soiree" and a friend of his was invading my personal space. In a desperate attempt to get away from him I turned to my left and there was J sitting in the armchair next to me, friendly guy that he is, he saw the panicked look in my eyes and started a conversation. It went something like,

J: "What do you do?"
S: "I'm a reporter."
and then J said the line: "Read a lot of books?"

Yes. That's the line that suddenly garnered my full attention, even my body language gave me away--I turned my entire body towards him (initially I was just trying to get some breathing space from his oppressive friend so it was just my head turned towards him, but as soon as he uttered the magic words I shifted on the sofa, crossed my legs in his direction, my body leaning slightly forward, and my eyes locked on his baby blues.)

S: Yes. Yes, I do read a lot of books. Do You?

And the rest my friends is history. You may be wondering what's the big deal? Doesn't everybody read books? No, darlings. No they don't. In fact I had gotten to the point where I would have settled for someone who read the back of a cereal box.

Anyway, case in point: He is still a dreamboat six years later--while running errands yesterday he stopped at the bookstore and picked up two books for me--without any prompting I might add--Reading Lolita in Theran, by Azar Nafisi, and just in case I wanted something cheap and easy a bestselling thriller. He loves me. He really loves me. ;-)

6 comments:

C. Dale said...

Readers are HOT!

A. D. said...

haha!

very nice.

Lorna Dee Cervantes said...

I was once dumped with the line: "You write BOOKS?!"

Thanks for the story. I love it. APAN! ("All Poets Are Nosy")

gina said...

*swoon*

early hours of sky said...

Damn he not only reads them he BUYS THEM;)

My line: Is it you?

Which seemed to be asking so much and so little at the same exact time.

Suzanne said...

Ain't love grand? :-)